Thursday, September 11, 2008

Ike Watch

For those of you who haven't been following the news at all lately, Houston is officially on hurricane watch as Hurricane Ike churns in the gulf. I've got to be honest that this is a completely new experience for me, having grown up in the desert. Part of me is nervous; yet another part of me, the naive part of me, is kind of excited. I know that sounds pretty stupid, I mean who actually wants to experience things like hurricanes or tornados, but it's true. There is something kind of exciting about the unknown.

Anyway, life here has kind of been put on hold as everyone waits to see exactly what the hurricane is going to do. People everywhere are talking about it, and every where you go, there are flashing signs that read "Hurricane forming in the gulf. Fill your gas tanks." As if we really needed to be reminded.

As far as our plans are concerned, Rachael and I have not talked about evacuation. Humble, where we are located, is about 80 miles or so from the coast, so I don't think we need to worry about flooding. I am worried about wind damage however. We live in an area that has a lot of trees, and my neighbor has a large tree in his back yard that, if it decides to go down, there is nothing between it and my roof. I guess we'll see.

We'll definitely keep you updated as things unfold. I am providing a link to a weather page that I have been using to track the hurricane, just in case you get bored and want to see the action unfold for yourself. It's actually a neat web it is totally interactive, so you can use it to see the historical track of Ike, as well as projected paths based on different computer models. Enjoy, and we'll talk again soon. http://www.stormpulse.com/fullscreen/current

2 comments:

Marylin said...

Dang! Thanks for the update cause I have not seen the news lately and I had no idea! Well I hope you guys stay safe and that nothing happens to your house or anything else for that matter! Keep us posted.

Walter and Lynsi Hohmann said...

We've been watching the weather really closely. Good luck with everything. Keep us posted!