Friday, September 12, 2008

Ike Watch: D-day

Today is the day!! In case you haven't been following the news still, the hurricane is forecast to make landfall sometime this evening. As you can imagine, we've been busy preparing our house, etc. We didn't board up our windows or anything like that, which you might think is crazy, but as I've discovered, the news only shows you what will make the hardest hitting impact. I think I've counted a dozen houses in our whole sub-division that have boards on their windows. Apparently, not many people think it's going to be that bad. I guess we'll have to see. We did move everything out of our backyard and into the garage though. I would hate for one of Connor's toys to come flying through the house if the winds get REAL bad. We also filled a bunch of old water bottles and stuck them in the freezer, with the intent that when we loose power, we can try and use those to keep some of our perishable food cold in coolers. Plus when it melts, we can always drink those.

As of right now, the weather has gotten cloudy and a small breeze has begun to blow; an ominous sign of things to come. It was kind of strange yesterday because the weather was beautiful. It was really sunny, warm, and just a gorgeous day all around. It was weird to think that there was a major storm 300 miles away and heading straight toward us because you never would have guessed it based on the weather. I guess I have some insight as to why the Galveston Hurricane in the early 1900's was so devastating.

Thanks for all of your concern. I've spoken to several of you on the phone, as well as through email, and comments on the blog. We'll keep you updated, although it might be several days before you hear from us again. I imagine we'll lose power, and I'm almost certain that the cell phone towers are going to get blown down too, and we don't have a land line. I'll do my best to keep everyone up to date.

3 comments:

Marylin said...

I found the weather channel last night and it looks like it will go right over the top of you guys! Let's just hope that it loses strength somewhat before it hits, and that the damage will be minimal! I like the water bottles in the freezer idea!

Tay and Teigan said...

Hope you are safe and sound and DRY! We've been thinking about all you Texans a lot, keep us posted!

Walter and Lynsi Hohmann said...

I know some parts of Houston got it pretty bad, and I'm not sure where you guys are. I hope all is well! We've been thinking about you guys. Good luck with everything!